Thursday 7 October 2010

On Shuffle

In A Sentimental Mood by Duke Ellington & John Coltrane. You all know how much I love John Coltrane's music, and I've featured Duke Ellington before. This is beautiful music, more relaxed playing than you may be used to from Coltrane.

The musicians are:

Duke Ellington - Piano
John Coltrane - Tenor saxophone (I know that the picture of Duke Ellington and John Coltrane has Coltrane with a soprano saxophone, but he plays tenor on this and five of the other tracks on Duke Ellington & John Coltrane and only plays soprano on one)
Aaron Bell - Contrabass
Elvin Jones - Drums

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Song To Sing When I'm Lonely (acoustic demo) by John Frusciante. I think that no matter what type of music you like there's almost certainly something by John Frusciante for you.

A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke. I try to stay away from hyperbole when I blog, but this may be the best soul song ever. It's hard for me to choose between this and Otis Redding's cover, they're both phenomenal recordings. This song also has the finest use of the Frecn Horn I have ever heard.

Alison's Starting To Happen (live session version) by The Lemonheads. Much more laid back than the studio version.

The Calcination of Scout Niblett by Scout Niblett. This is very nice, some lovely minimalist drumming to go along with some fine vocals.

We Do Not Fuck Around by Viva Voce. From their last album as a two-piece. I'm pretty surprised that I've never featured any Viva Voce in the year and a bit since I started my blog, I love them and you should as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment