Friday 7 January 2011

On Shuffle

After my last post was all 2010 releases I thought I'd go for some older music this time around.

Foxxy Minor by Parker McDougal. I know nothing about Parker McDougal, and neither does Google. Office Naps knows something:
Parker McDougal was a tenor saxophonist who played a supporting role for many local outfits. He also recorded early on for the hip M and M Records, who released the rivetingly dark “Foxxy Minor” in 1960. McDougal remained a Chicago jazz and R&B fixture but recorded, as a leader at least, only sporadically in subsequent decades. He passed away in 1994 at age 69.


If you don't already you really should check out Office Naps, it's in my blog list. But before you do you really should listen to Foxxy Minor and enjoy some excellent jazz.

Cigarettes and Coffee by Otis Redding. Shamefully this is only the third time I've featured an Otis Redding song on here. He was the first male singer I really liked and got into, when I was about 14-15, and his music was a key part of me really getting into music. This recording is from 1966.

She Lives (In A Time Of Her Own) by 13th Floor Elevators. This is from 1967. 13th Floor Elevators are one of those bands who while not exactly obscure have had a far bigger influence than their sales figures would suggest. Bands like ZZ Top, REM, Butthole Surfers, Primal Scream, Spacemen 3 and Queens Of the Stone Age have all been influenced by 13th Floor Elevators.

No comments:

Post a Comment