Sunday 20 July 2014

Sunday Music

A neighbour of mine is playing Elvis songs, a selection of his saccharine songs that must come from an album called 'Absolutely not the best of Elvis', at a volume that is frankly un-neighbourly of them. This is the problem with summer in northern England. We're so unused to the sun that we don't know how to handle it; I suspect my neighbour is playing Elvis in an attempt to appease the angry ball of fire in the sun.

Enough of my environment, now for the music. I know I didn't post any covers last time; I've included two this week to make up for it.

The List by Defiance, Ohio Defiance, Ohio is a real place, but the band are from Cleveland, Ohio. This comes from their third album The Fear, The Fear, The Fear. In this blog's first go round I featured Defiance, Ohio a time or two. For those of you who are new to them, they are a mostly acoustic punk band. Defiance, Ohio are close to the top of my list of bands I'd love to see live.


Lump by The Presidents of The United States of America I ended up with this song stuck in my head earlier in the week and I decided that it had to go here. If nothing else to get it out of my head and into yours.



Teardrop by Brad Mehldau (originally by Massive Attack) The first cover and the latest in my slow process to turn people on to jazz. I've posted a lot of Brad Mehldau over the years and come to love his virtuoso piano playing. This is a solo cover.


Serenade for the Renegade by the  Esbjörn Svensson Trio This may be my very favourite piece of modern jazz. The song itself is brilliant but this performance of it turns it into something more than that, to use an over-used word, it makes it epic.




All My Life by Frank Turner (originally by the Foo Fighters) The second cover this week and part of my attempt to slowly turn you all on to Frank Turner. Truthfully I suspect most of you are already fans of Frank Turner: if that's the case you'll still be happy to hear this.



The Moment I Feared by Tricky From Angels with Dirty Faces. I think we need a post or two focusing on Tricky's discography rather than just having a video or two every week here. Look for at least one of those in the upcoming week and for now enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment