Saturday 1 August 2009

Some stuff I threw together

because I realised I hadn't posted anything since Covers for Sunday last week, and I want something posting before Covers for Sunday tomorrow.

Luckily I've had 3 songs I've been meaning to put in the blog for a while, so here we go.

Firstly, Say Please by Monsters of Folk.

Monsters of folk is Jim James, Conor Oberst, M. Ward, and Mike Mogis. That should really be all you need to know to go here and get all the songs.

For some reason I can't really get into My Morning Jacket. I don't dislike it, but I tend to find I'm skipping onto the next thing on my playlist. However, I'm a big fan of Jim James' solo folk music. I first came across it when I got a bootleg of him, M Ward and Conor Orberst. So when I heard rumours the three of them would be making a folk supergroup I wzas pretty pleased. Having heard 'Firstly Say Please' it's fair to say my expectations have been met.

As a bonus Jim James, under the name Yim Yames, recently released a 6 track EP of George Harrison covers. You can buy the digital download from his website and/or pre-order the CD and vinyl, which are released on August 4th. Here's a sample track from the EP Behind That Locked Door.

Next is I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers. The first post I ever made on this blog had an Avett Brothers mp3. Check that out, and then listen to this. It's on an EP and a single, both are orderable here.

Lastly, Boy 1904 by Jónsi & Alex. The theme of this blog has been, although I didn't plan it, songs that don't sound how you may expect them to sound. The Monsters of Folk and Yim Yames songs don't sound like My Morning Jacket and the Avett Brothers EP sounds different to most of their previous work. The same is true here. You may expect Jónsi & Alex to sound like Sigur Rós, but they don't. It's lovely, delicate music, so much so that it almost makes Sigur Rós sound kinda course by comparison. Almost. You can listen to the full album and buy it here.

That's it, see you tomorrow for more covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment