Monday 15 February 2010

Covers for Sunday (on Monday)

Apologies for the lateness of Covers for Sunday this week, it being Monday. This post is late because we had guests yesterday and apparently it's rude for me to do this when we're entertaining and I never write my posts in advance, even though I know I should.


Free Falling - Kings of Convenience (originally by Tom Petty). This is one of two b-side's offered on the single Failure, the other is a cover of Joy Division's The Eternal. Both are really good and I'm sure I'll post The Eternal sometime soon.

Like I Love U - Maximo Park (originally by Justin Timberlake). Maximo Park's cover of Just Dance is fantastic, and one of the most popular covers I've posted, so here's another. This is a rarity in that I've never listened to the original, so I've no idea how similar it sounds or not. It is quite poppy and features to the best of my knowledge the only name check of Billingham in musical history.

Ruby Soho - Vampire Weekend (originally by Rancid). You've probably already got this, it has been all over blogs for the last week or so now, but just in case you haven't here it is. African music inspired pop band cover Californian punks, it is exactly as good as you'd expect.

Blister In The Sun - Still Standing (originally by Violent Femmes). Blister In The Sun is a classic, and it's the sort of classic that's hard to cover without murdering it. But Still Standing do a good job of covering it, making it different enough from the original to avoid it being a straight-up copy but still keeping the charm of the original.

Time After Time - Allister (originally by Cyndi Lauper). A friend at college gave me a mix-tape with this on back in the late 90's. I lost the tape and have tried from time to time to find this cover again, hampered by the fact I had no idea who had covered it. I finally located it last week, so here it is. It's a pretty standard punk cover, the drumming isn't great, or at least the production isn't great on the drumming, but it's a good little cover and a nice piece of nostalgia for me.

Teardrop - Newton Faulkner (originally by Massive Attack). Recorded in a lift with just an acoustic guitar I can not describe just how good this cover is. You're only cheating yourself if you don't listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment