Sunday 20 December 2009

Covers for Sunday

Back to the normal format of Covers for Sunday this week.

It's a happy house here today. We've had a couple of days snow and have the first decent coverage of snow either of the kids can remember (they're 11 and 9). Hopefully we'll have a bit more snow and we can make a snowman tomorrow.

Even better, from my son's point of view, due to the snow his school has closed early so he's on holiday until next year now. He's very, very happy.

Anyway, here are the covers for this week.

My Sharona - Veruca Salt (originally by The Knack). A very laid back cover, very different from the original but still faithful to it. I know, that sounds like pretentious bollocks. Just listen to it and hear for yourself.

I'm Sticking With You - Moe Tucker featuring Jonathan Richman (originally by The Velvet Underground). I only recently came across this. There are a couple of different versions by The Velvet Underground, but I didn't know Mo Tucker had covered this in her solo career. The inclusion of Jonathan Richman is the icing on the cake.

A Change Is Gonna Come - Arcade Fire (originally by Sam Cooke). I was skeptical when I first listened to this. The original (and the Otis Redding cover) is such a great tune, and Cooke has such a superb voice I didn't think they'd be able to do it justice. I was very wrong.

Free Man In Paris - Sufjan Stevens (originally by Joni Mitchell). Truth be told I'm not really a fan of Joni Mitchell. This is one of a few covers of hers that I like, so I'm not really sure why I don't like the originals.

Umbrella - John West (originally by Rihanna). I thought I'd posted this before, but checking back I haven't. I absolutely detest the original but this cover is pretty decent, especially the cello.

Everybody's Going To Be Happy - Queens Of The Stone Age (originally by The Kinks). If you're a regular reader you'll know how highly I rate The Kinks. You'll also know that covers of The Kinks feature fairly often. Here's another excellent one.

No comments:

Post a Comment