Sunday 27 December 2009

Covers for Sunday

Walking The Dog - John Cale (originally by Rufus Thomas) This cover comes from Sabotage, which should have a place in every collection. It's one of the great live albums.

Run On - Elvis Presley (Traditional). The versions by Moby and Johnny Cash are probably the two most famous covers of this song. I only heard this version for the first time last week. This is the first Elvis song I've ever featured on the blog.

Running Up That Hill - Placebo (originally by Kate Bush). A nice dark, brooding cover, especially towards the end.

Johnny B. Goode - Judas Priest (originally by Chuck Berry). I'm sure you're sceptical about this, but it's a pretty decent cover, albeit in a cockrock sort of way.

I Wanna Be Your Dog - Uncle Tupelo (Originally by Iggy Pop & The Stooges). Before Son Volt and Wilco there was Uncle Tupelo. I didn't think a country cover of this song would work, but it does. It's not a patch on the original though.

Gentle On My Mind - R.E.M. (originally by John Hartford). This is another nice song, and normally I dislike it, but for some reason this version is just, well, nice to listen to.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you in particular for the REM cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been meaning to feature their cover of 'All I Have to Do Is Dream' as well, must do it soon.

    ReplyDelete