Friday 4 December 2009

Covers for Sunday...well Friday

Here's the long awaited double edition covers post. Well, maybe not long awaited. I only mentioned it yesterday after all. But nevermind. To make up for being late with these last few posts this is going to be a double edition. 6 artists, 2 tracks of each.

The Arctic Monkeys. Alex Turner has a really distinctive voice and I don't think it always works well with covers. On these two covers I think it fits really well, especially on Red Right Hand despite it being so different from Nick Cave's.
The Lovers, originally by Rod McKuen.
Red Right Hand, originally by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

The Sarcastic Dharma Society. I've featured the cover of Our House before, which went down really well. So I was surprised that the song I posted a week or so ago, The End, has had so few downloads. I guess I didn't talk enough about how really fantastic the song was. To make up for that The Sarcastic Dharma Society are featured today.
Simeon's Dilemma, originally by Why?
Bad Bad Things, originally by Andrew Jackson Jihad.

She & Him. I've mentioned a few times I'm a fan of M. Ward and that extends to She & Him. Two very understated, almost simple, covers.
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, originally by The Smiths
You Really Got A Hold On Me, originally by William Robinson Jr.

The Morning Benders. I've featured them here before, covering the Velvet's Temptation Inside Your Heart and Roy Orbison's Crying. The first song is a Kinks cover, and I try and include Kinks covers whenever I can. The Fleetwood Mac cover does the trick of taking a song I dislike by a band I dislike and make it into something I really enjoy. For me that's the mark of a good cover.
Nothin' In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl, originally by The Kinks
Dreams, originally by Fleetwood Mac.

Spoon. A band often featured with Kinks covers, this time I decided to put up some of there other covers, of which there are plenty. To give you an idea of the range of songs these guys cover I've chosen one by Sam Cooke and one by Destroyer, two acts totally different from each other and pretty different from The Kinks as well.
Bring It On Home To Me, originally by Sam Cooke
It's Gonna Take An Airplane, originally by Destroyer

The Bad Plus. I thought I'd featured more of there tracks than I actually have. If nothing else this post is a good opportunity to put that right.
Smells Like Teen Spirit, originally by Nirvana. Download it and play it a few times, you'll love it. Trust me.
Comfortably Numb, originally by Pink Floyd. This features Wendy Lewis and Ethan Iverson on vocals. The bass work in this is astounding, it's easily one of the best covers I've ever heard. It re-interprets the original, gives it more layers and depth but never totally strays away from the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment