Monday 31 May 2010

Covers for Sunday

Here we go, the return of Covers for Sunday, by far the most popular part of this blog.

Send Me An Angel - Emily Zisman & Ryan Avery (originally by Real Life) I'd never heard the original of this until one day not too long ago my wife played it on YouTube. About two hours later I got this cover in my inbox and it is absolutely immense. Beats the original in every possible way. What was originally new wave becomes folk and the synths are out in favour of a violin. It's so good here's the video of the recording:



Ryan Avery's music is fantastic, check out his site here, there are plenty of tracks to listen to/download.

Bonny - Editors (originally by Prefab Sprout). Prefab Sprout may be the best band to come out of the North East ever and Editors do them justice with this cover. Of corse it's not as good as the original, but it's not Tom Smith's fault he isn't Paddy McAloon

Earth Angel - Death Cab For Cutie (originally by The Penguins) It's the song from Back To The Future, I used to love this song when I was younger and argue all the time with two of my friends about which was better: this or Johnny B. Goode. Those were my first music arguments, I was six or seven.

1977 - Edwyn Collins (originally by The Clash). The Clash were great, Edwyn Collins is great, this is a great cover of a great song.

Just - Mark Ronson feat Phantom Planet (originally by Radiohead). Normal service, a Radiohead cover. Some of you will love it others will hate it. Radiohead covers are the most polarizing thing I ever post, more so than the free jazz even. Well, perhaps the jazz covers of Radiohead are more divisive.

One - Vanessa Paradis (originally by U2) Remember when U2 where great? Listen to this, it'll help you remember.

That's it for the return of Covers for Sunday, I hope you enjoy all the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment