Wednesday 26 May 2010

Stamper Freon

Remember The Plastic Pals? They're a Swedish band I featured back at the beginning of March. (Check the post here if you missed it first time around)

After I posted that I got an e-mail from someone who'd done some backing vocals on The Plastic Pals album. So here we are, here's his solo project Stamper Freon.

I've just got to say first that this is really, really good. Stamper Freon came about after a couple of years break from recording and general involvement in the music industry. He's got a really distinctive voice that sometimes reminds me of Paddy McAloon and other times of Alex Kapranos.

Here's the first song: Wish You Were Here. This song was inspired by something his daughter said to him about her grandfather, I think it's the sort of thing any parent will recognise. Also the drumming in this is phenomenal.

Normally I don't post covers unless it's on a Sunday but I'm making an exception here. This is Clap Hands, originally by Tom Waits.

Check out his myspace page, there are another 7 songs to listen to and some videos to watch. In fact, here's one of the videos to watch now:


Safe in grey

STAMPERFREON | MySpace Music Videos


I accept, he sounds nothing like Paddy McAloon or Alex Kapranos in this song, you'll just have to download Wish You Were Here to check it out.

But that's not all. As you probably guessed given his association with The Plastic Pals he's Swedish as well. And he's in a Sweish language band called De livslevande Fågelmännen which I'm told roughly translates to The Very Much Alive Birdman. I asked for a song from them as well because there's nowhere near enough non-English language music on this blog. So here's my first step towards correcting that Ingen Djävul (Not A Devil) This was recorded while jamming and then worked on in the studio. It's a great song, very catchy even if you can't speak a word of Swedish.

Here's the myspace for De livslevande Fågelmännen. There's plenty of songs and a video on there as well.

That's it for today, I hope you enjoy the music from today's post as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment