Monday 14 June 2010

Covers for Sunday - The Strokes edition

I decided earlier this week that I'd like to do Covers for Sunday with just covers of The Strokes songs. There one of my favourite bands and as they're starting to tour again I thought it'd be a pretty good time to do it. Of course I only actually started working on it tonight, because I hate getting to bed at a reasonable time I guess.

Anyway, I've decided to include songs covered by The Strokes as well as covers of The Strokes songs. Here they are.

Walk On The Wildside (originally by Lou Reed) I wish The Strokes would do more Lou Reed covers, that'd be pretty perfect.

Life Is A Gas (originally by The Ramones)

It's Not My Place (originally by The Ramones). I know the sound quality is pretty subpar on this but it's the only version I have and I can't find a better one. If anyone has a version with better sound quality send me an e-mail.

Clampdown (originally by The Clash). This is just absolutely phenomenal.

So, here we go. Varying quality and styles of music, there should be something for everyone here. Not just in terms of what musical genres you like, but I think there should be at least one song here that is new to every reader. Of course it will probably be a different song to every reader.

The End Has No End - Metric. I'm surprised this wasn't posted before, it's one of my favourite covers of The Strokes and one of my favourite Metric tracks.

Last Nite (live) - Ryan Adams

Last Nite (live) - Ryan Adams. The first 1:20 or so of this is actually a cover of Like A Virgin. Yeah, the Madonna song.

Last Nite - Yellowdogs

The Modern Age - The Tetris

Someday - Elliott Sussman. A solo banjo cover, well worth listening too.

Last Nite - Seven Eleven

Take It Or Leave It - Primatas Modernos

Last Nite - Pixie Lott. Because I know some people like Pixie Lott's music, even if I don't know why.

Last Nite - Jumbonics. Just brilliant. Takes a few seconds to kick in but is, well, just brilliant from there until the end.

I'll Try Anything Once - Alex Montanez

12:51 - Luc & NoƩ. If you ever wondered how it would sound if 12:51 was covered by a singer channeling John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats backed by a violin this is the track for you. This is a pretty good cover, but it takes a couple of listens.

Someday - Built To Spill. A fairly straight-forward cover. That's not a criticism of course.

Someday - Basia Bulat. A lovely folky female vocal cover, of not for the chatter.

I've featured covers of The Strokes before, so just in case you missed them here they are again.

Reptilia - Punch Brothers. This is one of the most popular covers I've hosted, so the chances are you did catch this first time around. If not, it's a bluegrass kind of cover, recorded live with some great mandolin playing.

Last Nite - Ryan Adams. Different from the Ryan Adams cover above.

Take It Or Leave It - Arctic Monkeys.

Last Nite - Detroit Cobras

Now on to mash-ups. You're either gonna love them or hate them and there's no way to tell until you listen to them.

A Stroke Of Genius (Hard To Explain and Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera) The Freelance Hellraiser. This was one of the first big mash-ups in the UK.

Jus' A Reptilian (Reptilia and Jus' A Rascal by Dizzee Rascal). I have no idea who this is by, sorry.

Taking On Reptiles (Reptilia and Take On Me by Aha) Mike Devine. If you read the post on Blade, this is the same guy who has a mash-up on there. You all seem to have enjoyed that, so I hope you'll enjoy this.

I Get The Hang Of It (Julian Casablancas River Of Brakelights and I Get It In by Omarion feat Gucci Mane) DJ STV SLV. Alright, I know technically this isn't a mash-up of The Strokes, but it fits too well with this category not to include it.

That's it. Enjoy the music and if you have any different cover of or by The Strokes that aren't featured here feel free to e-mail me. Of course you don't have to have different covers to e-mail me, just send me an e-mail if you feel like it. Unless you're a spambot, in which case don't bother.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Will. If I would've had to choose some cover versions, then The Strokes would have been in my Top Ten. Brilliant! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Annie. I think I'll do something similar with another band soon, not sure who though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cure perhaps? Maybe something with The Velvet Underground. Everyone's covered some Velvet Underground. Nirvana? Blondie? Ramones? Only to name a few. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be The Velvet Underground next, it has to be really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my computer and me hate wma files, what do you do with them, can't even make an mp3 disk out of them never mind listen to wma files...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you add them to iTunes they auto convert so you can play them on that. Otherwise you can use something like Zamzar to convert them to mp3s.

    ReplyDelete