Monday 21 June 2010

Covers for Sunday

Last weeks Covers for Sunday when I focused exclusively on covers by The Strokes and covers of The Strokes songs went down really well, but this week we're back to the normal format.

I will do more Covers for Sunday focusing on one band, but I'll probably limit it to once a month after next week. Next Sunday will see Covers for Sunday based entirely on The Velvet Underground. Until then here are your covers for this week to tide you over.

True Colors by Leatherface (originally by Cyndi Lauper). Another punk cover of Cyndi Lauper, this time from one of England's great under-appreciated punk bands.




New Pony by The Dead Weather (originally by Bob Dylan). Different from any other cover of Bob Dylan by a Jack White band you've ever heard.

Kennel District by Broken Social Scene (originally by Pavement). I've only recently gotten into Pavement, I didn't like them much first time around but now I see the error of my ways. I wasn't that keen on Broken Social Scene either, but on the basis of this cover I'm giving them another try.

A Change Is Gonna Come by Ben Sollee (originally by Sam Cooke). This makes me wonder, how far can a song change before it's no longer a cover and is just a different song with quite a few similarities. I think, obviously, this one stays on the right side of the line to still be a cover.

Manic Monday by Ephemera (originally by The Bangles). Pretty much exactly how you'd expect it to sound. Good if not spectacular, a nice low-key cover, well worth a listen.

The End by Nirvana (originally by The Doors). I chose this, and every other song for this weeks covers, early this morning, uploaded it to mediafire and went off to watch the football. Now when I come to publish it I see it's on music induced euphoria's Sunday Morning Covers. I just thought I'd share that coincidence with you.

2 comments:

  1. my ears, car stereo and a few friends thank you for all the great music you've been posting. Cheers, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, very glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete