Sunday 4 July 2010

Covers for Sunday

I've been very busy this week, so no blogging. To make up for it there's this and then later this evening I'll be posting another six covers, all jazz covers. Jazz covers are always pretty popular when I post them, so I hope a full six song edition of them will make up for my absence this week.

The Times They Are A Changing - Tom McNee (originally by Bob Dylan). A young Scouse folk singer-songwriter, currently working with some local musicians to start a new band. I know he's also done a cover of Land Down Under. I hate that song but I can imagine how great his cover will be. If I can get a copy I will share it.

Like A Virgin - Teenage Fanclub (originally by Madonna). You should know just by reading the song title and the covering artist just how good this is going to be. It is that good.

Sympathy For The Devil - Jane's Addiction (originally by the Rolling Stones). A live cover that's not quite as good as the original, but then few songs are.

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side - J Mascis (originally by The Smiths). Dinosaur Jr were one of my favourite bands growing up, The Wagon was possibly the first song that really got stuck into my head. Of course I was very pleased when they reformed and released an album last year that is the equal of their past greatness. J Mascis' unique vocals work perfectly on this cover.



Empire State Of Mind - Jackson Harris (originally by Jay-Z). Sometimes non-hip-hop covers of hip-hop songs are terrible, this however is great.

When Doves Cry - Damien Rice (originally by Prince). I was never really into Damien Rice, Cannonball irritated me and put me off listening to anything else he did. However a work colleague is a huge fan and convinced me to give him a try. I'm glad I did, I think this cover is far more representative of his work and talent than Cannonball.

No comments:

Post a Comment