Saturday 24 July 2010

Uncovered on Saturday

It's been a while since I've done an uncovered post, the plan is still to do one every Saturday.

Lazy Bird by John Coltrane. It's my belief that John Coltrane is the greatest musician that ever lived. I rarely post his music here, this is only the third time I've done so and it's the first time I've featured an original Coltrane composition. You should then have already guessed that it wasn't easy for me to choose a track for this from all of his recordings. In the end I went with this hard-bop track from the album Blue Train, Coltrane's first real album as leader. Recorded in 1957 this was the last track from the album. The musicians on it are:

John Coltrane (tenor saxophone)
Lee Morgan (trumpet)
Curtis Fuller (trombone)
Kenny Drew (piano)
Paul Chambers (contrabass)
Philly Lee Jones (drums)



All are exceptional on this, although Coltrane's playing towers over them. I really enjoy Lee Morgan's playing on this, incredible to think he was only 19 and already playing so well. Paul Chambers solo is very enjoyable as well, he plays most of the bass on this track by plucking but uses a bow for the solo which is followed by a great solo from Philly Jones Lee.
Anyway. I chose this track because it's great, obviously, but also because it's easy to listen to if it's your first exposure to jazz or you're already a veteran listener.

This Love by Pantera. A rather large difference between the first and second tracks I'm sure you'll agree. Apart from their cover of Cat Scratch Fever the only Pantera songs I own are from a magazine giveaway compilation from, I think, 1997. So I listened to them both and chose this.

Every Little Earthquake by Little Boots. You might be wondering why Little Boots is on this blog, it's not exactly the sort of thing I normally post after all. Nor is it the sort of music I normally listen to. But I did like her cover of Rich Girls by The Virgins, (her cover was called Rich Boys), so that's why there's a Little Boots song here. I know nothing about Little Boots really, but apparently it was also Caligula's nick-name. I do know a few things about Caligula, so here's a random fact for you all. He was the son of the nephew of the adopted son of the adopted son of Julius Caesar.

Electro Snake by Ryan Adams. Just on the off chance you missed this when it was on more or less every blog a couple of months ago.

Deep Dark Truthful Mirror by Elvis Costello. Obviously there are loads of songs too choose from with this Elvis as well. I went with this rather than one of the usual songs that are associated with him. Not to be obscure but because it's a great song, the drums and horns are particularly good.

A New England by Billy Bragg. And this time I decided to go with the obvious choice, just to be contrary. I love this song, "It's wrong to wish on space hardware" is one of my favourite lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment