Monday 19 July 2010

Covers for Sunday

No posts at all this week. I decided at pretty short notice to take a week off work, so I thought I'd take a week's holiday from blogging as well. I'll make it up to you though.

Here's this week's covers, next week's Covers will be the third Covers for Sunday that focuses on one band. The first two posts, featuring The Strokes & The Velvet Underground, were really popular, next week it'll be the turn of The Kinks.

When by Maximo Park (originally by Vincent Gallo). Very, very different from the original. Pretty far away from most of Maximo Park's music as well. In fact, and this isn't a comparison I make lightly, it doesn't sound too far away from Joy Division.

The Devil Went Down To Georgia by Blues Traveller (originally by The Charlie Daniels Band). A live country rock cover, full of energy, excellent fiddle playing and some really good, drone-esque, guitar playing during the long fiddle solo.

Day n Nite by Chaingang (originally by Kid Cudi). I detest the original version of this. It's one of the songs my kids like and I just can't understand why.

Time Is Running Out by Alex Cornell (originally by Muse). Strips out the bombast of the original without diminishing it at all and compliments Muse's version pretty perfectly.

Romeo and Juliet by Matt Ryd (originally by Dire Straits). I started listening to this and liked it, but I'd managed to change my opinion by the time I reached the end of the song I'd changed my mind. It just goes on for too long. I'm not exactly a Dire Straits fan, quite the opposite, ao I may not be the best person to judge this.

Diamond Sea by Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs (originally by Sonic Youth). Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs seem to be a bit of a love or hate band amongst people I know. There are however some songs almost everyone enjoys. This is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment