Tuesday 20 July 2010

Live - Lord Help My Poor Soul

I'm going to take an educated guess here and say that you probably know Fionn Regan for his fantastic Mercury Nominated debut album The End Of History.

Or perhaps you know him as the possessor of the greatest bowl haircut since Luke Skywalker.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Either way, you probably haven't heard as much of his more electric guitar based music which can be found on his second album The Shadow of an Empire. The album has altogether more of a rock feel than his debut, which sits firmly in the acoustic singer-songwriter tradition.

Predictably there was plenty of criticism at his change of direction. I fail to see why this happens so much. Why do we expect musicians to make record after record sound the same. Don't we like these people because they are creative? To then complain when they don't just create slightly different versions of the same thing over and over seems to me to be fairly idiotic. If the new direction results in poor music then I can almost understand the criticism. But that's certainly not the case here. I think this song shows off the quality of his new material and, in particular, his guitar playing.

Lord Help My Poor Soul (mp3) - Fionn Regan (live at Dolan's, Limerick 6th March 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment