Monday 12 October 2009

Covers for Sunday

Another Sunday, another week has passed us. Alright, so if you're in Europe it's actually Monday. I'm late today because we had a couple of friends visit us, just before I was going to post this. I had the songs uploaded ready and most of the description written. My friends, they're lovely people but they are starting to resemble the shopkeepers from Father Ted. I'd love to say I offered them useful and heartfelt advice, but I didn't. There's only so many time you can tell people the same thing before you have to accept they don't want to listen, no matter how much they say they do. For me that number is 2 or 3. It's much higher for my wife though who is a much nicer person than me and listened to them and gave thoughtful, useful advice.

Anyway. On to the songs. It's more of a subdued mix this week. Grant Lee Phillips is wonderful, it's been ages since I listened to him but I'm going to be remedying that on the way to work tomorrow. North Mississippi Allstars play a pretty straight forward live cover of Hendrix. One of my favourite parts of this is the crowds disappointment that they're not going to hear an Allman Brothers cover. Spoon make Set Me Free sound like a Beatles song. Metric's cover of Dylan stays close to the original but as a duet it's a nice twist. Franz Ferdinand are energetic in covering Blondie and Brad Mehldau's trio is, well, amazing.

Enjoy the songs and appreciate the lack of bad puns this week.

I Don't Live Today - North Mississippi Allstars (originally by The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Don't Think Twice It's Alright - Metric (originally by Bob Dylan)

Set Me Free - Spoon (originally by The Kinks)

So Central Rain - Grant Lee Phillips (originally by REM)

Call Me - Franz Ferdinand (originally by Blondie)

Exit Music (For A Film) - Brad Mehldau (originally by Radiohead)

No comments:

Post a Comment