Sunday 25 October 2009

Covers for Sunday

Usual drill, it's Sunday, here are six covers for you. There's nothing much else to say except I have all week off next week and the kids are away. So how will my wife and I spend next week? By painting the house. Somewhere along the line I grew up by stealth. Oh well, on to the covers.

Can I Kick It - The Popguns (originally by A Tribe Called Quest) It's a fairly straight forward cover of one of my favourite hip hop songs. I'm underselling the cover, you should just download it and enjoy it.

Fences - Soft Pack (originally by Phoenix) One of my favourite current bands is covered by another of my current favourites from a different genre. What's not to like? Also, no foolish band name typos this time.

Heart Shaped Box - Sofia (originally by Nirvana) Following on from yesterday's 'new' Nirvana song here's a Nirvana classic covered in a way that sounds nothing like them at all.

Bad Reputation - Death Cab For Cutie (originally by Freedy Johnston) Listening to the radio at my sister's house today Death Cab For Cutie were on and she said they were a band she just couldn't get into. She felt/knew she should like them, she just didn't. I, of course, told her it's because she's too old. This song's for you sis x

Panic - Spoon (originally by The Smiths) Again this partly comes from an early morning conversation with my sister over coffee. She told me Morrissey had collapsed on stage in Slough, I laughed at Slough, it's a natural reaction for me, almost Pavlovian. The other part is I really enjoyed Spoon's cover of The Kinks from a couple of weeks ago and it was a popular download so here they are again.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - David Potts-Dupre (originally by Wilco) I can't explain why I like this. I love the original, but this seems to change everything I love about it and change it in ways I don't normally like. The first time I heard this cover I had to resist the temptation to skip it. Then it stuck in my head for the rest of the day and it's a frequent listen for me. I may not know why, but I do like this.

That's all for this week, enjoy the music.

2 comments:

  1. That last track is so worth it. I'm completely unsurprised at how well that particular Wilco song comes off as an acoustic country rock song, as if from the American Heartlands; kudos on the find, and thanks for the pass-along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all the songs I've found because of you I'm glad to be able to return the favour, even if only in a small way.

    ReplyDelete