Sunday 8 August 2010

Covers for Sunday

The first of two Covers for Sunday this week, there'll also be a Covers for Sunday Jazz edition posted soon. Check it out but first, here are six non-jazz covers for you.

No Cars Go by Final Fantasy (originally by Arcade Fire) I'm sure you'll all be aware of the massive amount of Arcade Fire hype at the moment because they've released their third album, suburbs. That's not why this is here though, it's here because I think the violin playing on it is really pretty good.

I'll Keep It With Mine by Mike and Ruthy (originally by Nico). I know technically this is a Bob Dylan song, but Nico's version was released first so it's hard to say she covered it. Apparantly Bob Dylan 'gave' it to her and she released it on the John Cale produced album Chelsea Girls.

Let's Dance by The Futureheads (originally by David Bowie)
The Man Who Sold The World by The Section Quarter (originally by David Bowie)
I hadn't planned on having two David Bowie cover this week, it's just how it worked out. The Futureheads version is pretty faithful to the original and The Section Quartet's is, as you may have guessed, all done with strings.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Built To Spill (originally by The Beatles). A long but pretty faithful cover of one of George Harrison's best songs.

The Killing Moon by Pavement (originally by Echo & The Bunnymen). I was sure I'd already posted this, but it seems I haven't. How remiss of me. Now we have two versions of this song in a week (I posted a live version on Thursday).

That's it for now, don't forget to check back soon for Covers for Sunday - Jazz Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment