Monday 30 August 2010

Covers for Sunday

Technical issues/idiocy resolved, Covers for Sunday is back.



Silly Love by Downtown/Union (originally by Daniel Johnston). I found this when I was listening to Downtown/Union for Saturday's post. I thought it'd be much better suited to today's blog, so here it is.

The Message by Stiff Little Fingers (originally by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five). This is from the album Tinderbox which my wife bought for me when she was visiting her family/attending a class reunion in Germany. I'm a lucky guy, I know. Anyway, if you've heard Stiff Little Fingers before you'll already know how good this cover is. And if you haven't, shame on you.

The Eternal by Kings of Convenience (originally by Joy Division). This is a b-side to Failure, from the same disk as the cover of Free Falling. That cover was really popular, a great cover by a band at their peak. This is, if anything, even better.

Baby by Maria McAteer and Björn Dahlberg (originally by Justin Bieber). Justin Bieber, words I never thought I'd type, especially not for this blog. But last week I got an e-mail from pianist Björn Dahlberg introducing this cover to me. Safe to say I've never heard the original, but this cover's pretty good. The video's well worth checking out. Björn Dahlberg and vocalist Maria McAteer went to Brighton beach and got people to mime the lyrics. With the magic of video editing, which if you've ever dabbled with you know can be a huge pain, they produced this:



You can listen to more of Maria McAteer here and buy it here.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by Damien Rice (originally by U2). Another very good Damien Rice cover, just as good as the other's I've posted.

Cousins by Mumford and Sons (originally by Vampire Weekend). It took me a while to warm to Mumford and Sons, this cover took me a few listens to really grow on me but I'm glad it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment