Sunday 24 January 2010

Covers for Sunday

It appears I may have somewhat hastily promised all those who read this post wit. Ah well, I hope you won't be too disappointed. After all, there's always the music.

Home I'll Never Be by The Low Anthem (originally by Tom Waits). Oh My God, Charlie Darwin is one of my favourite album titles of the last couple of years. The music is pretty good as well.

Bluish by Sondre Lercher (originally by Animal Collective). Bluish is my favourite track from Merriweather Post Pavilion which is also one of my favourite albums from 2009. Some time towards the end of this month, start of next month, I may post a best of 2009 list. We'll have to see. Anyway, this cover is very different from the original and, of course, isn't anywhere near as good. However that's mainly due to how good the original is, this is still a good recording and well worth a listen.

Let's Dance by M Ward (originally by David Bowie). See what I did there?

Take Me Out by Guillemots (originally by Franz Ferdinand). An almost schizophrenic cover, very different from the original and very good. They're a good band, it's a shame they've never really broken through into commercial success the way it looked like they would in 2007. Hopefully they'll release a third album this year and gain some. It's also a shame they persist of spelling there name gUiLLeMoTs.

Run To You by Malcolm Middleton & The Hold Steady. This song came on my mp3 player on my way back from Mass today, the first time I'd ever heard it. Of course it had to go in todays Covers post. I'm glad I don't do Covers for Wednesday, because I'd have forgotten all about it by then, and it is far too good a song to forget.

That's it for this week, enjoy your covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment